Player Development Trust Fund
Gerry Walker Memorial Scholarship Application
INFORMATION FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS:
The Player Development Trust Fund will award ten (10) $2,000 scholarships to promising young “scholastic golfers” to assist them with tuition and other educational expenses in pursuing a post-secondary education.
The Player Development Trust Fund invites applications from young men and women who reside in British Columbia and are Canadian citizens who have demonstrated both scholastic and golf excellence.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (75%) in courses taken in grades 11 and 12 or a 2.5 GPA (65%) in your previous year of post-secondary program of studies if presently attending a post-secondary institution.
- Successful completion of a secondary school graduation with a “dogwood” certificate or equivalent.
- Successful golf competitive experiences at the club. Zone, Provincial, National and International levels.
- Participation in extracurricular and community activities.
- Outstanding character and attitude.
- Member in good standing with British Columbia Golf.
NUMBER AND DISTRIBUTION OF SCHOLARSHIPS:
In order to create a fair and equitable distribution of the ten (10) $2,000 scholarships, the Scholarship Committee will allocate the scholarships based on the number of junior memberships in each Zone.
- The Player Development Trust Fund scholarship is an award which in the past could only be received one-time only. Since 2010, the Player Development Trust Fund Committee has decided to accept applications from past winners who are currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution and meet the necessary criteria. However, preference will be given to applicants applying for the first time.
- The scholarship award is contingent upon the applicant being accepted and remaining enrolled as a full time student at the college/technical school/university. Preference will be given to applicants to those:
- Who enroll in a college/technical school/university in British Columbia or Alberta.
- Who enroll in other recognized Canadian post-secondary institutions.
- Preference also will be given to an applicant who is or will be accepted at a “recognized” post-secondary institution that has a varsity golf program where the applicant must be a member of the golf team OR if not a registered team member, have a “red-shirt” status OR where the applicant has enrolled in a program of studies leading, hopefully, to a career in the golf industry. However applicants pursuing a career in other fields are also strongly encouraged to apply for this award.
- Consideration will be given to applicants who have successfully completed their high school graduation (or who are about to graduate) OR to those applicants who have completed four (4) years or less at a post-secondary institution subject to the approval of the Scholarship Committee.
- Candidates will be judged on the basis of the substantiated information contained in their application, support material and recommendations provided.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: (All documents to be included)
- A certified, final copy of their official graduation transcript Letters of Recommendation to support application from:
- Principal, Counselor, or a Teacher at applicant’s present educational institution.
- Zone Junior Golf Chairperson
- President of home golf club or Club Professional or Club Junior Chairperson.
- A completed application form accompanied with a recent photo (head and shoulders preferred, approximately 2” x 3”).
- A personal letter outlining academic and golf achievements. The Scholarship Committee is interested in your background as well as future career and personal goals. Please include in your letter why you believe a Player Development Trust Fund scholarship will assist you in pursuing your educational goals.
COLLEGE/TECHNICAL SCHOOL/UNIVERSITY STUDENT must SUBMIT:
- A certified copy of their most recent official transcript of grades
- Letters of Recommendation from:
- College/university professor or golf coach
- President of home golf club or club professional or club captain
- A completed application form accompanied with a recent photo (approximately 2” x 3”) head and shoulders preferred.
- A personal letter outlining academic and golf achievements. The Scholarship Committee is interested in your background as well as career and personal goals. Please include in your letter why you believe a Player Development Trust Fund scholarship will assist you in pursuing your goals.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
The Application form, letters of recommendation and other supporting documents must be submitted no later than SEPTEMBER 30th. Please be advised that incomplete applications may not be accepted.
Announcement of Scholarship Recipients will be made by NOVEMBER 15TH.
Financial awards will be made payable directly to the educational institution. Written proof of registration and current attendance must be submitted to and substantiated by the Scholarship Committee for funds to be issued.
Please send your COMPLETED APPLICATION documents to:
PDTF Scholarship Committee
BC Junior Golf Association
c/o Berne Monteleone
991 Nassau Crescent
Kelowna, BC V1Y 4T2
Phone: 604.279-2580 or Toll Free 1.888.833.2242
Thank you for applying for a Player Development Trust Fund scholarship. We wish you every success in your future educational and golfing endeavors.
The Player Development Trust Fund Scholarship Program is in recognition of Gerry Walker’s passionate dedication to the development of Junior Golfers in British Columbia.